Send Me More
Information about Callawassie Today!
Callawassie Island, South Carolina
|This gated Lowcountry community offers championship golf, dining,
fitness and deepwater dock access in a nature-friendly island setting.
Set in the Carolina Lowcountry, Callawassie Island is a private, gated island community offering world-class Tom Fazio golf and a full complement of amenities. A half-mile causeway provides a relaxing, almost magical approach to the island, where peace and quiet are as plentiful as vibrant activity.
Callawassie is ideally located—near Hilton Head Island–yet a world apart from its crowds, noise and traffic. For convenience and charm, Beaufort is only 15 minutes away and historic Savannah, Georgia, only 30.
The homes and homesites of Callawassie—including waterfront— are among the area’s best values.
Golf by Tom Fazio
In designing the 27-hole Callawassie Island golf course, Fazio took advantage of a lush natural environment to create intriguing visual drama as well as excellent playability.
One of the master architect’s earliest designs, the course meanders intimately along the river and salt marshes in a way that environmental regulations make difficult today. And wth a recent $4 million renovation, the three distinct nines play like new.
Enjoy 23 holes of Tom Fazio golf.
A Certified Commuity Wildlife Habitat
Callawassie Island is the first South Carolina community to have been designated a “Community Wildlife Habitat” by the National Wildlife Federation. Coexisting with nature—with live oaks and palmettos, with egrets and herons, and with the thriving ecosystem of the salt marsh—has always been important here. Today, that distinguished designation still applies and Callawassie is one of only four South Carolina communities that can claim it.
Callawassie Island is a Community Wildlife Habitat.
Clubhouse and Other Amenities
Every community needs a center, and at Callawassie Island, it’s the gracious clubhouse. Encompassing 26,000 square feet of Lowcountry style, it offers a fine blend of casual and formal dining areas. Members and guests enjoy the Grill Room Bar for a drink after a round of golf as much as the Dogwood Room for a gourmet dinner.
Back to top
The clubhouse complex includes a pool overlooking the marsh, with the golf practice area, pro shop, tennis center, and fitness center nearby. Final touches are bocce and croquet courts and a horseshoe pit.
The pool complex is just outside the clubhouse.
The River Club
Overlooking the beautiful Colleton River, the Callawassie Island River Club provides a casual gathering place for friends and neighbors. Noteworthy features are the library and fireplace inside, and the family swimming pool, sundeck and fire pit area outside.
The River Club docks offer community boat tie-ups and slips, as well as deep-water access to the Colleton River and Port Royal Sound. The Sugar Mill Ruins dock and the Paddler’s Point dock offer easy creek access to residents with smaller boats or kayaks. The island’s surrounding tidal rivers, creeks, and freshwater ponds are home to great inshore fishing. Residents catch shrimp and crab right off the community docks.
Launch a kayak right into the Colleton River or Port Royal Sound.
Member ownership ensures that residents control the direction of Callawassie Island, the clubs, and the beautiful, natural setting. Callawassie Island is a thriving community with strong member participation in the governing of the island through boards and committees.
The golf here was named a ‘Top 50 Course’ in the state by the SC Golf Course Ratings Panel.
Benefits of Membership
Membership in the Callawassie Island Club allows access to first-rate golf, tennis, swimming, kayaking, fitness, dining, and more. Island Membership is part of being a resident, assuring a strong financial foundation for the community.
Thanks to this solid structure, amenities continue to improve, infrastructure is constantly maintained, and the island’s appearance is always a top priority. Additionally, healthy financial reserves are in place for emergencies.
Back to top
- Savannah /Hilton Head International Airport, 35 miles
About the Area, click here
For Real Estate Information, click here
For Discovery Package Information, click here
Awards & Honors
- 1st community in South Carolina to be certified as a Community Wildlife Habitat by the National Wildlife Foundation
- One of only four South Carolina communities certified as such today
- 200-plus homes certified by National Wildlife Federation Certified as Backyard Habitats
- Named a ‘Top 50 Course’ in the state, by the South Carolina Golf Course Ratings Panel, 2014
Back to top
The island is located conveniently between Charleston and Savannah.
Amenities: Callawassie Island, SC
- Gated island golf community of luxury single-family homes and homesites
- Member-owned and ideally located between Charleston and Savannah
- 27-Hole, award-winning Tom Fazio designed golf course
- Callawassie Island Clubhouse
- 26,000-square-foot Lowcountry-style clubhouse with sweeping marsh views
- Formal dining in the Dogwood Room
- Informal dining and cocktails at the Grill Room
- Private rooms for social, club, or business events
- Marsh-view swimming pool
- Fitness center and golf pro shop
- Tennis center with six Har-Tru courts
- Bocce and croquet courts plus horseshoe pit
- River Club situated on the Colleton River
- Casual setting with library and fireplace
- Family swimming pool, sundeck and fire pit area outside
- Docks with access to Colleton River and Port Royal Sound
- Deep-water docks
- Access to Intracoastal Waterway and Atlantic Ocean
- Mooring for residents, visitors, and guests
- Kayak launch area
- Gazebo and picnic area
Back to top
Homes begin in the $100,000s.
Real Estate: Callawassie Island, SC
- Single-family homes and homesites
- Featured views include river, creek, marsh, golf, lagoon and preserve views
- Villas from the mid-$170,000s
- Homes priced from the mid-$300,000s to $1 million-plus
- Homesites priced from the $20,000s
For More Information
For more information about Callwassie Island, call 843-987-2125 or 800-221-8431.
Or visit the Callawassie website at www.callawassieisland.com.
Back to top
About the Area
Callawassie Island lies in the heart of the South Carolina Lowcountry, surrounded by charming villages, vibrant cities, historic attractions, universities, entertainment, beaches, shopping, and excellent healthcare.
Just 15 minutes away is the small city of Beaufort, with its quaint downtown, antebellum homes, art galleries, antique shops, fine dining and riverfront park. Only 30 minutes from Callawassie Island is Savannah, Georgia, known for its urban beauty and old-world charm.
Savannah & Charleston
The area's natural beauty complements its bountiful amenities.
The elegant Historic District and a festive River Street are must-see sections of Savannah, which also offers first-class restaurants, shopping and sophisticated art galleries. Also, just a half-hour’s drive is Hilton Head Island and its beautiful beaches.
Charleston is another popular day-trip destination, prized for the brightly colored houses of its Rainbow Row on The Battery and for historic Fort Sumter. Plus the French Quarter and Old Market.
Back to top
Explore the island's waters during your stay, or grab some golf.
Visit Callawassie Island on its 3-day/2-night Discovery Visit and learn firsthand why it is such a popular place to live. Your discovery package includes:
- 3 days/2 nights accommodations for two in an on-island home
- Unlimited access to the fitness center, two swimming pools, six Har-Tru tennis courts
- Unlimited access to both the Clubhouse and River Club
- $50 gift certificate for dining
- Your choice of either a golf or tennis lesson
- A session with a Callawassie personal trainer
- Personalized real estate tour of Callawassie’s outstanding homes, homesites and amenities
You are also encouraged to try a guided kayak excursion around the island or take a complimentary carriage or a walking tour of nearby historic Beaufort. Please keep in mind that accommodations are available on a first-come, first-served basis. To reserve your Discovery Visit, please call 843.987.2125.
Back to top